There are numerous patients around that are dealing with the concerns related to repeated implantation failure”. While most of them dreams of becoming a parent someday, they don’t have a clue to this obstruction between their parenthood goals. Now, before we tell you about the personalized solutions offered by Delhi IVF and Fertility Research centre, let’s first understand a bit about this fertility concern.
What is “Repeated implantation failure”?
The term “repeated implantation failure” describes the inability to conceive in an IVF cycle in a woman less than 40 years of age, even after transferring three or four high-quality embryos in a minimum of three fresh or frozen cycles. Though IVF and IVF-ICSI are excellent procedures, some cases still result in unsuccessful procedures even after multiple attempts with healthy embryos. On the other side, the embryo and the endometrium must develop and interact in unison for successful embryo implantation. That said, Repeated implantation failure causes a lot of mental and financial stress on the infertile couple. Also, the treating physician finds it extremely challenging to provide an explanation for why the patient is not improving despite all the necessary conditions.
What are the core reasons for Repeated implantation failure ?
How to check for Repeated implantation failure ?
- Via random blood tests, the experts may look for small clots in the blood that could come as a possible cause for repeated implantation failure. Patients witnessing such issue can be prescribed aspirin or low dose heparin.
- The same blood tests may also identify high levels of uterine natural killer cells and auto-antibodies that could come as a main cause of repeated implantation failure
- Decidualization is the result of hysteroscopy or endometrial scratching; there is evidence that these procedures, if performed in the cycle prior to ovarian stimulation and IVF/ET, increase the pregnancy rate in patients with reduced fetal growth factors.
- Endometrial Receptivity Array: This refers to the receptivity to welcome embryos for a brief period of time during the menstrual cycle after the embryo reaches the uterus; this period is known as the window of implantation (WOI). (ERA) is a reliable test to determine the time of window of implantation for any female; it also aids in personalized embryo transfer for patients in RIF to increase the success rate of implantation.
- Preimplantation genetic screening (PGS) determines whether an embryo has all of its chromosomes (complete chromosomal karyotyping) and can assist in the process of choosing the most “competent” embryos for transfer.
- Time-lapse imaging is a useful tool for identifying the best embryos for transfer and evaluating minute changes observed during embryonic development.
- An immediate physical or chemical treatment before embryo transfer is known as “laser-assisted hatching.” To increase the chances of implantation, a section of the zona pellucida is to be made weaker.
What are the possible treatment for Repeated Implantation Failure ?
The treatment plan should be designed to maximize the likelihood of successful implantation and subsequent pregnancy. It is necessary to work toward improving the endometrium’s receptivity and the embryos’ quality. Immunomodulators have been used in conjunction with autologous stem cells, PRP injections, endometrial scraping, and endometrial receptivity. IgG is injected intravenously to suppress immune responses and increase the rate of live births.
Apart from the above, the following treatment options can be sought after for RIF:
Reviewing the Embryo quality
Check the quality of embryos created via IVF cycles. That said, high-quality embryos are more likely to implant effectively. In case if the embryos are of destitute quality, it may be fundamental to investigate alternatives such as donor eggs or sperm.
Endometrial Receptivity Testing
A few clinics offer endometrial receptivity testing to assess the receptivity of the uterine lining. This will offer assistance to decide the ideal timing for embryo transfer.
Pre-implantation genetic Testing (PGT)
Consider preimplantation genetic testing (PGT) to screen embryos for chromosomal anomalies before transferring them to the uterus of the intended mother. This will increment the chances of selecting a perfect embryo for implantation.
Evaluating your immune system
In a few cases, issue related to immune system may influence implantation. That said, testing and treatment for these conditions can prove to be useful in the treatment of RIF
Assess hormonal components that can affect implantation, such as thyroid disorders or insulin resistance. Moreover, this hormonal imbalance can be redressed with medicine.
Adopting a healthy lifestyle
Embrace a healthy lifestyle by keeping up a tab on your calorie count, light workout, and a bit of cardio. On the other side, smoking and alcohol intake should be avoided during the same procedure.
A few studies suggest that endometrial scratching, a minor method where the uterine lining is delicately scratched, can enhance implantation rates in a few cases.
A hysteroscopy can be performed to look at the uterine cavity for any variations from the norm or polyps that will prevent implantation. That said, found issues can be corrected by proper treatment
Check the nature and type of medicine utilized amid IVF cycles. That said, changes to the type or doses of medicines may be essential.
There are many adjuvant therapies and hormonal injections to improve the endometrial thickness and improve chances of implantation.
Thrombophilia could be a condition that can lead to blood clotting. Hence, testing for thrombophilia and suitable treatment may be considered.
Other Treatments, Some individuals treatments such as
Patients must know that managing with RIF can be emotionally challenging. Hence, consider looking for support from a specialist, counselor, or support groups to help manage the coming stress.
In cases where Repeated Implantation Failure is unexplained or cannot be treated, considering gestational surrogacy may be an alternative to trigger pregnancy.
At Delhi IVF , since it’s inception in 1993 , we have done major research work and progressed in the treatment of all sorts of repeated IVF failures and implantation failures and given success results
We customise and tailor make the treatment specific to our patients needs and feel proud to have been prioneers in successfully implementing most such treatments.
Contact with our experts at Delhi IVF and let us take the charge of your parenthood dreams in the best way possible!