Oncofertility describes a medical field that connects the characteristics of oncology and reproductive endocrinology with the aim of enhancing the reproductive ability of cancer patients and survivors. Cancer treatments including chemotherapy, radiation and surgery may damage/diminish or even destroy a person’s ability to have children in the future.
In women, these cancer therapies can lead to ovarian damage that may result in early menopause, genetically damaged eggs, ovarian failure, or other reproductive issues.
In men, these cancer therapies can destroy the testes that involve with sperm production and testosterone secretion. As cancer treatments progress and survivorship maximizes, fertility preservation opportunities in women, men and children become a growing crucial topic.
Nowadays, various treatment options exist to enhance your future fertility capability and the ability to reproduce. Consultation at Delhi IVF and Delhi Egg Freezing Centre with our Fertility expert /Reproductive Endocrinologist should be done as soon as possible after diagnosis of cancer, and ideally before the chemotherapy and radiation has started.
We work in sync with your medical oncologist / oncosurgeon And help you preserve your future fertility in the best possible way.
Existing Options for Fertility Preservations
Fertility Preservations in Women
Egg Banking– to preserve a woman’s eggs for future use and fertilization with sperm whenever she decides for childbearing in future. Hormonal stimulation of the ovaries leads to the stimulation of various eggs that can be collected by ultrasound-guided technique and frozen for future use. This whole procedure may take upto 2-4 weeks to be completed.
- Embryo Banking– to preserve the healthy embryos for implantation in future. Hormonal stimulation of the ovaries leads to development of the various eggs that can be retrieved and fertilized instantly with her partner’s sperm to form embryos, which are then preserved for later use. This process too may need 2 to 4 weeks to finish.
- Gonadotropin Agonist– injections will chemically down control the testes or ovaries and reduce their functioning before taking the chemotherapy. The belief is that testes and ovaries with reduced metabolic functioning will face lesser damaging effects from the chemotherapy.
- Sheltering– the pelvic and genital section with a lead apron during radiation therapy to decline the damaging effects of ionizing radiation on the testes and ovaries.
- Ovarian Transposition– to physically move the ovaries out of the pelvis through operational methods in situations where pelvic radiation is needed to reduce the harmful effects of ionizing radiation on the ovaries.
Fertility Preservations in Men
- Sperm Banking– to preserve sperm to use it in future. Various semen samples can be taken and frozen within duration of several days.
- Testicular Sperm Extraction– is a trivial operational process where sperm is collected directly from the testes or epididymis, which can be frozen to use in future. This is only needed when there is zero sperm count in the ejaculation.
- Tissue banking– in which testicular tissue or ovarian cortex is operationally separated and frozen. This tissue can be implanted back into the body in future and hormonally stimulated to develop sperm and eggs with some achievement when the patient finally decides to conceive.
Why Delhi IVF for Oncofertility
Delhi IVF has 30 years legacy of successful and leading pioneering fertility lab in the country with high success rates consistently. We have always adapted all the advance and latest technology and expertise in every field of Infertility over the two decades and more. That’s the patrimony & legacy of our research centre & we promise to continuously shine like this in the future too.
The doctor’s experience, expertise and the staff of Delhi IVF and Delhi IVF Egg Freezing centre is highly dedicated towards the successful treatments and everyone is well trained and knowledgeable for using each and every latest tools and equipment for the most successful treatments